Wolfram|Alpha: Systematic knowledge, immediately computable.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Regarding Comments...

I pretty much post / approve any comments. Exceptions are outright ad hominem posts, or ones patently blather from fainbois that may not agree with me.

Reasonable comments are always posted, unedited. 

If you chose to disagree, well though-out comments are likewise nearly always posted.

However, if you want to be caustic, feel free to do so, but have the fortitude to post with a real name and account. You see mine, give me the same courtesy.

Do note: there is, and has been for as long as I've used it, an issue with the Google blogger comments system:

Rarely, I don't even get the comment. I don't even see something to approve. You will find similar comments on other blogs, and it has happened to me posting a comment elsewhere. It has apparently happened here, as a friend of a commenter notified me that a particular comment had not shown up, and wondered if I'd not approved it.

If you post a comment and it does not show up (even obnoxious comments usually will get a post from me referencing them and inviting a proper response), assume that may be the case and feel free to re-post it. If you continue to experience issues, feel free to email me.

Rob

5 comments:

  1. "However, if you want to be caustic, feel free to do so, but have the fortitude to post with a real name and account."

    Fortitude? Identification should not strengthen the content of the post, be it caustic or not. You're bringing schoolyard "say that to my face!!!!" antics to a PC gaming blog, in which I and others comment often at irregular intervals and usually in a hurry. I'm not about to create an account just for the possible occasion in which I would have an acidic comment to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. I do the same. And if their comment gets into the spam box, I don't even bother looking. Too many want to hide behind anonymity when being internet tough guys. Kudos to you for posting not always popular views publicly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then I guess your caustic comments will be missed!

    You raise some thought-provoking points. I myself believe that "open" forums should allow pretty much any post to remain, and not be censored. Particularly in the case of forms that allow moderators to actually participate. The forums of TWI discussed in recent entries are a prime example. Moderators there use their authority when it is all they have left because they've lost a debate. I frown on that, and would so here were this a forum.

    But it is not.

    Unlike a forum, anonymous comments are permitted here, as the are in most blogs. To just allow anyone to post anything would inevitably lead to mayhem. I generally stay out of others insulting others - that's their business. But if one wishes to attempt to insult me, they really should have the balls to do so out of the shadows of anonymity. Given enough intrinsic value, authored insult rants will even be posted: witness the comments by Ibleedv20 in the entry (I) Don't Believe The Hype.

    Would that Google blogger had a feature à la Youtube, where readers themselves can vote distasteful comments into being "collapsed" and noted as such, only to be revealed should the particular reader choose. But it does not, so the rules I have are the rules.

    If you don't like them, feel free to comment elsewhere.

    If perchance you just wanted to post insults in support of TWI and its fanboi's beliefs, I'd suggest their own forums. It appears to be protected speech there, so long as it appears to be worship at the altar of the TWI gods...

    Whichever path you choose, thanks for the feedback!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. "But if one wishes to attempt to insult me, they really should have the balls to do so out of the shadows of anonymity. Given enough intrinsic value, authored insult rants will even be posted: witness the comments by Ibleedv20 in the entry (I) Don't Believe The Hype."

    I suggest you just veto posts that are blatant insults - Negative comments, if well-presented (and argued), should stay, even if they're anonymous. It's far simpler to just ignore bad posts, regardless of authorship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Anonymous 7/24/11 16:50:
    That's pretty much what I do. Perhaps I was not as clear as I could have been that I meant I won't accept insults from chickens, but pretty much anything else will get posted.

    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete